Subject: Re: [Leica] hassy question
From: Cmrausr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 21:40:16 EDT

Johnny,

I'd go for the basic 500cm combo. 80mm lens, A12 back, and waistlevel finder.
If you don't mind an older 80, the black T* lens is much less than the CF
version used. Depending on cosmetics, around $1200.00US for the outfit. The
older lenses are bay 50 filter size in 80, 150, and 250 I believe. The newer
versions, bay 60.

It's kind of like the M3 of Hasselblad outfits. If you aren't interested in a
Polaroid back you can get a 45 degree prism from Kiev for under $200.00US.

Flash synch at all speeds, built like a brick outhouse. The only quirky thing
is that with longer lenses the viewfinder darkens at the top of the frame due
to a short mirror design. Not really a problem. It's not a significant amount.

If you find the screen a bit dark there are bright screens available. If you
don't mind the motor noise, a 500ELM is about the same price as the hand
crank model, but it requires a rechargeable battery that can be somewhat
expensive.

If you're buying used, look at the lower right corner of the body where the
trigger pin for the back come out of the body. Significant wear in that area
means significant use. Likewise for the back. But if everything works
smoothly these cameras are made to be used a lot, and restored to specs when
necessary.

Other than Leicas, there's nothing Like 'em.

More info, give me a yell offlist. I go through around 3-4000
fashion/product setups with this gear a year. Used to be film, now it's to
ccd.

cheers

Scott Stewart
The Greenville News