Subject: Re: [Leica] hassy question
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 09:36:04 -0500

Scott Stewart wrote:

>It's kind of like the M3 of Hasselblad outfits. If you aren't
interested in a
>Polaroid back you can get a 45 degree prism from Kiev for under
$200.00US.

This is true if you are talking about the Hasselblad Polaroid back, but
the NPC MF-1 works fine with the Kiev 45 degree prism. I paid $150 for
the Polaroid back and $190 for the prism, both of which are much less
than the equivalents from Hasselblad & of course, these are things which
don't affect optical performance one bit.

Other than the "hang" the main difference in the Polaroid backs is that
the Hassy one has a glass plate to move the focus plane. In practice, I
have never found this necessary.

One other nice thing. In my experience, Hasselblads are easier and
cheaper to get CLA'd than Leicas. If you live on the East Coast I know a
great guy in Baltimore. I usually go up there and have them done while I
wait & it's lots of fun to watch him work with the screwdrivers and
tweezers!

Simon Stevens