Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: using Photoshop to simulate soft focus
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:50:15 -0400

on 4/7/01 9:45 AM, Doug Richardson at doug@meditor.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Can any of our Photoshop gurus explain the best way of using Photoshop
> to simulate the effects of a traditional soft-focus filter or the
> legendary 'stocking over the lens' trick? I've got some portraits
> taken with a brutally-sharp Canon lens which are exposing every defect
> in the sitter's complexion. I've tried different settings of Gaussian
> blur, but the degree needed to tone down skin defects produces a
> rather artificial-looking end result.

A very slight Guassian blur is the start BUT you also need to mimic the
flare effect, which is very pronounced. To do this duplicate the image in a
channel, then use this as a mask which lets through a white background in
the highlights. THEN use a guassian blur to blur the channel mask. This will
let you preview the effect. If this doesn't make sense I will write out the
steps. Email me a jpg of the image privately if you'd like me to do this.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com