Subject: Re: [Leica] 80 Summilux-R f1.4
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 21:26:26 -0700

Tina wrote:

> 75/1.4 for the M.  Do I also need the 80/1.4 for the R if I'm going to use
> it exclusively for color?  How does it compare to the 75/1.4 for the M?  I
> like the metering in the R8 for color.  Is that enough reason to go with
> the 80/1.4?  Is it a huge lens or similar to the 60 Macro?  Is there a
> difference in the earlier versions and the later ones that I should
consider?<<

Hi Tina,
I've had the R80  1.4 since early 70's, I think when it first came out,
anyway for a long time and I love it, use it lots when I need fast and
colour by available light.  And I use it wide open!   That may not be the
cup of tea for some LUGNUTS. However, I use mine quite often in this manner
and I'm more than satisfied with the results

Heck I even bounced mine off the side walk while attached to an R4  jumping
out of a moving van some years ago on assignment in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Dented the front lens barrel, but I could still use it, barely.  But
Rhinehold Mueller "fixed it,"  I think he took a hammer to it! And
straightened it out and it has worked like a charm ever since. ;-)

It balances very well on the R8 and kind of makes a complete package for
handling.  I've never compared the 75 and 80, so nothing on that part.

Knowing the kind of shooting you do there isn't any doubt in my mind that
you wont be more than pleased with the lens. It's certainly heavier than the
60 2.8 macro, but still has a weight comfort zone with the R8 and motor.

I'd say go for it and as usual, if you don't like what you see... sell it.
;-) So there you go eh? Trust me there's nothing like it. :-)

>>>I like the metering in the R8 for color.  Is that enough reason to go
with
the 80/1.4? ?<<<<<<<

No question! Go for it~! ;-)
ted