Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Advice Sought
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:03:33 -0700

Gregory Rubenstein wrote:

> leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
> Recently acquired a new Noctilux for an assignment. Didn't have time to use
> it much before the shoot, but got lucky and things went well.
>
> Have seen several useful Noctilux references in current digests, but would
> appreciate comments, anecdotes, tips, dos, don't dos and such about this
> lens from folks more familiar with its workings and performance than I am.
> (For example, without intending to re-roil the waters of the filter debate,
> Leica says not to use filters with it; what have y'all found out in the real
> world about this admonition?)

*do* this: Put 20 rolls of film in your bag, put the Noct on your camera, don't
take it off till the 20 rolls are used, don't use any other camera. shoot
*everything* with just this lens for 20 rolls. Shoot it wide open, stopped down,
whatever the lighting requires. shoot it at 1/8th and f/1.0 if necessary. look
at all your shots then write down what you learned. ( I hope your paper isn't
blank ;-)))

If you shoot 20 rolls in a day then shoot more, at least 3-4 days. ;-)

Dennis