Subject: [Leica] virtual workshop
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@ision.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 10:49:07 +0200

There are already many people on the new list dedicated to the pursuit
of image quality.
As it is not my intention to create a classical type of list with a few
active contributors and a large majority of silent subscribers, I do
propose the following.
On the assumption that you have joined or will join the list to share
experiences, learn new things and get answers to problems experienced, I
would try to follow a new approach: a virtual workshop, according to the
ideas of the open software community. like Linux.
First we as the whole group define what is meant with image quality,
what aspects are to be studied and how do we identify image quality,
irrespective of brand wars (leica versus whatever or the other way
around).
We will establish a common methodology for analysing these themes, in
order to share results over time and distance and across brands.
We will also discuss and try to get a framework for all aspects that
influence the image quality or image degradation.
Methods of evaluation will be established (resolution, MTF, flare, bokeh
etc).
And then the big part. We need to assign these aspects to one or a group
of persons who will study and experiment with each topic and return the
results to be discussed in a goal oriented matter, as if we are all part
of a study group or members of a true workshop where sharing results is
more important then being right are wrong.

As example I may refer to the many mails I personally receive about the
topic of flare. Some would simply assume that if I have flare in a
picture the lens must be bad as we all have the impression that a lens
mst be flare free under every circumstance in order to be classified as
good.
The reverse is true. Any lens will sometimes and severely exhibit flare:
that is not only Murphy's law, but also part of the reality of optics.
In stead of working with the wrong assumption of a flare free lens, it
is better to establish the situations were flare is unavoidable, how to
contain the flare effects and what to do about it. And to find the
differences: some lenses exhibit more flare than others, some films are
additional flare sources etc.
That will help every body to bet better pictures and will help to
predict critical situations and act accordingly.

If you are interested in this approach, join the list, which I would
prefer to interpret as a workshop, not a chat.

Erwin