Subject: [Leica] Dawning of Leica affection
From: "Hugh Thompson" <painfree@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:55:50 -0400

Thought I should update you on my M3.  I had a very scratched Sumicron to
start and the pictures were all cloudy.  Now I have a different lens, a
collapsible Sumicron, with only small "water" marks on the front element,
and it is turning out wonderful stuff.  Of course it helps that I am getting
better at metering for correct exposure.  As for the M3, we had an
unexpected problem, a screw came loose internally, and jammed the gears.
Could have been a disaster, but my technician friend, from whom I bought the
camera, looked after it under warranty, and the camera and lens combination
now perform beautifully.

It was while my camera body was away, and I was using a substitute M3, that
I realised what an affection I had developed for "my camera".  When it came
back it just felt right in my hands - perhaps it develops a patina.  All I
can say is that it feels like it really belongs with me.  I am finding
shooting such fun these days, such as this evening, in failing light,
shooting scenes by the river, while walking my dog, with 100 film at 30 sec.
hand held, with complete confidence that I got the shot.

I just wanted to let you know that it has taken time, like all good things,
but the M and I are bonding, and my affection for it is growing,
particularly when I see those results.

Hugh Thompson

Replies: Reply from Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] Dawning of Leica affection)
Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Dawning of Leica affection)