Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 15 Apr 2001 19:44:39 -0700

> Bob Burgess wrote:
> I am a photographer and use Canon EOS system.  I was curious of the
> advantages, if any, to also using a Leica R system for personal color work.
> I use the M system frequently but long for similar quality in SLR glass.
>
> Anyone with R experience who could offer advice would be appreciated.
>
> Which body?  I like to throw things to "Matrix" type metering when
> convenient..R7 ? R6.2? R8?
>
> Reliability - is it a factor?
>
> Many thanks for taking the time to send your insight my way.
>
> I can be reached at
>  bobburgess@earthlink.net
>
> Thanks again.
>
> www,rburgessphoto.com

Bob,

If you want matrix metering the R8 is your R.  I "grew up" on center-weighted metering and graduated to the SL's spot meter and I couldn't wish for anything else.  My R8 experience is limited to a day with a demo unit and with the lighting conditions I was working with, the R8's spot metering in manual mode (fantastic ergonomics, BTW) provided more consistent exposures than matrix.

As far as the glass goes, if you see a difference between the EOS photos and M photos, you'll see a difference between the EOS photos and R photos.  IMHO the color saturation and richness in shadow details is the big advantage of the R glass, and the mechanical construction is fantastic.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe