Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Medium format camera for a Leica user?
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:12:58 -0400

> I was thinking about why this was an issue, then I realized, it is the
> workflow.  My usage of the Rollei is on a tripod most of the
> time, and I use
> strobes majority of the time as well, including on location. Unless I am
> shooting still life I also use a prism. I meter. I set the aperture and
> shutter speed.

And with strobes, shutter speed isn't really near as important as aperture.

> If I were using a Hassy, I don't think my use or method of
> working would be
> any different.  So, I wouldn't call them different cameras for different
> uses, at least in my case.

What I meant by that, is I believe the Rollei is better suited to the
studio, where bulk and, as you call it, workflow, aren't near as critical.

> Of course, your methods work for you, and what you like about the
> 205 might
> not suit me.  Obviously 6008 doesn't suit you.  I'd say each to
> his/her own.

Au contraire!  I *really* like my 6008, just not as a schlep around for the
day camera...  The Rollei Schneider lenses are superb, as well as the Rollei
metering.  If you use 645, the 645 back is actually very nice...it swivels,
and the Hasselblad doesn't...but I don't shoot 645, except with a 645 camera
;-)

> Now, as far as M is concerned, of course it is lighter and easier to "lug"
> around.

I would suggest you weigh an M6 w/ 75/1.4 vs a Hasselblad with a
110/2...they're pretty damn near the same weight...much to most people's
surprise ;-)