Subject: Re: [Leica] universal polarizer woes
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:52:33 -0700

>Back from a week of shooting in upstate New York.  My six month old
>universal polarizer, which came apart a couple months ago and was repaired
>by Leica service, fell apart two days after getting it back from them.
>
>I recall another user mentioning this same story, and he solved it with
>loctite somehow.  I'll probably try to do the same, but I have to gripe a
>bit first.  That a polarizing filter should cost $350 is already a bit
>outrageous; that it should cost so much and be apt to fall apart is simply
>unacceptable.
>
>Dan

Dan,

I don't know if you could get a refund on that filter, but given the
problems you've had with it (and if you raise hell with the appropraite
people), perhaps you could. Then you could try the Jim Brick Trick which,
if I recall, goes something like this:

- - Get 2 Heliopan Polarizers, the ones with the numbered dials. (2 of these
are probably cheaper than the Leica one).
- - Mount one on your lens, hold the other to your eye, in both cases with
the number 0 (or 1 or whatever) in the 12 o'clock position.
- - turn the dial on the filter you're looking through until you get the
desired effect.
- - check out the number in the 12 o'clock position and dial that number in
on the filter on your lens.
- - take picture.

This is a neat trick and may be more cost effective (and will certainly be
more headache and blood pressure effective) than the Leica p.f.

Guy