Subject: RE: [Leica] Was Medium format camera (now pit-bull arena)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:10:29 -0400

Certainly.  It is part and parcel of a leaf shutter design.  The leaf
shutter blades have to travel from the center to the edge, therefore, the
center will be open for a longer period of time, and that time decreases
toward the edges.  With small apertures, the time it takes for the shutter
to travel the distance until it's 'fully open', which is when it's past the
aperture blades, is very small.  Contrast this with the distance it has to
travel until it's 'fully open' when the aperture is wide open.  The times
are different, though the shutter speed is the same.  This amount of shutter
blade travel time becomes significant when that amount of time approaches
the shutter speed time.

If you don't get any part of that, or if you'd like further explanation,
please let me know and I will do my best to explain it.