Subject: [Leica] Re: Moscow Info
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:10:07 +1000

>  [What to see and do during a quickie visit to Moscow]

Have a close look at the above-ground metro entrances in
the inner city, especially near the Kremlin.  You'll slowly
notice that they are little more than bomb-shelter entrances(!)
1-3m thick steel and concrete domes - very sobering and
depressing remnants of the cold war.  Especially notice the
2m (yes, _two_ metre!) wide tracks on the floor at the
entrances upon which the blast doors swing shut...

Catch the metro to Moscow State University - interesting
example of Stalinist architecture (and some of the uni
students are friendly too).

Try to also catch the metro out to the housing estates at
the outskirts of the city.  Eg. Filovski Park.  These
10 storey run-down buildings are way off the tourist
beat and so will give you a taste of how the local
population really live.

If interested, I have a few photos from the trip on my www
site at:

<http://www.4020.net/eastbloc>

As to Arbat Street, I personally found it to be a tourist-trap
and avoided it - to each their own.

> [Safe to walk around with a M6?]

When I was there (1991), I was still Nikon-man, so I cannot
comment about Leicas being mugger-bait.  I had no problems
with my F and F2, although I did make an effort not to
prance and wave the cameras about.

What I did notice though was that if you intend to wander
the streets, then you better dress down.  I had a drab,
crappy (but warm) jacket and cheap generic jeans.  Made
me much harder to target, especially in comparison to other
european tourists in their bright flouro reds, greens &
yellows.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds