Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:The Nikon FM
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:48:57 -0700

>[snip]
>I realize that after my accidental post the other day I am treading on
>VERY think German ice here - :-) - but I will offer the heretical
>suggestion - noting that in advance that there are exceptions to every
>generality - that those who most obsess over the "quality" of equipment
>and sharpness of lenses are those who - often - take the most mundane,
>predictable, photographs. And I believe that is so for the simple reason
>than they are far more interested and focused on the stats than they are
>on capturing an original image on film.
>
>But that's just my hardly ever humble opinion.
>
>B. D.

FWIW, I agree with the preceding statement.

Optical quality does not necessarily translate into emotional or aesthetic
quality, hence (for me) the opulent tedium of hard core zone system
photographs.

They may demonstrate beautifully rendered zone 3 shadows and magnificient
zone 8 hightlights, but if the image is otherwise devoid of any emotional
or aesthetic quality, I'm turning the page...

Guy