Subject: [Leica] Leica lurking
From: Donna-Lee Phillips <dlp@pacific.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 16:59:51 -0700

LUGs

I am still not in a position to have anything useful or entertaining to
post, but I must admit that I am enjoying reading the posts on all
levels from technocritical to my favorite (and virtually only reliable)
Latin phrase. I was very interested in Oddmund  Garvik's quoted remarks,
and tried in vain to find anything about/by him written in English. And
now... be still my fluttering heart... fountain pens? I remember those
Shaeffer dollar specials, and still carry two vintage (hey, anything
from the 70's IS vintage anymore) Pelikans. The only practical use for a
Mont Blanc is as a photo prop.

It is interesting to speculate about the names of some of the group. For
awhile I wondered if John Collier was kin to the legendary documentary
photographer John Collier whom I met in his last years in SF. I think I
went to school with a Charles Choy, but probably not the same one.

Thanks to the LUGwars over the relative merits of the IIIf, I've taken
mine off the "sell someday" list, and put it on the "put some film in
it, stupid" shelf.

I can't help wondering how anyone has time to take, much less process,
any photographs with the number of posts made, but I ain't complaining.

Lately I've been looking at my boxes of pre-accident B&W negatives, most
of which I did not choose to print at the time. Now, dusted off, they
will show me things I had not noticed or did not appreciate at the time,
as well as reintroduce me to what I believed 'worth printing'. I shot by
the 'ratio method', and mine was a fairly low count, sometimes not more
than two negatives per roll of 36--back when film was cheap, and
bulk-loaded, and processing involved closing the pantry door and hoping
a roommate didn't come home and flip the blazing kitchen light on while
I was souping.

More later, maybe even photographs one day.

Donna-Lee

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica lurking)