Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Demise
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:13:54 -0700

The funny thing about "the end of film" is that there is almost no way
to make an image that will last 200 years other than to record it on
film or paper.

I can imagine a future in which photography is digital, but images are
stored on film. They would be stored not as images, but as digital
signals; if you put the film in an enlarger what you would see would
not be the image, but odd geometric patterns that encoded the zeroes
and ones that represented the image.

This would be black-and-white film, of course; color film is not stable
enough.

No current digital medium is known to last more than 25 years. People
suspect that CD Roms will, but no one knows. But we know film lasts 100
years, because we have 100-year-old film that still holds its
information.

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Film Demise)
Reply from "mdelman" <mdelman@rochester.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Film Demise)