Subject: RE: [Leica] usenet flames (was re: hexarrf ...)
From: "Derek Zeanah" <derek@zeanah.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:05:19 -0400

>What did Keppler write about Leica vs Pentax?

I just checked the newsgroup to see for myself.

Apparently he took a Pentax 50mm f1.4 (a few decades old) and a 50
Summicron, stopped them both down to f8, enlarged to 11x14-ish, and said he
couldn't see any difference.

Sounds like his statement is likely true - at f8 *any* prime lens seems to
do about as well as any other prime lens.  Of course, some are trying to
claim that Keppler "proved" no difference between brands, and others are
calling him a quack, others are blaming it on no advertising money from
Leica, ...

Standard Usenet fare, I guess.  Doesn't affect me much, but when I'm using
f8 and a tripod I tend to drag out the Hasselblad anyway -- handheld 35mm
cameras are made for (IMHO) handheld work, often at large apertures.