Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: photo criticism...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:06:24 -0700

><Snip>
>
> They DO look like he used every filter ever made.
> Every one, every filter ever dreamed of, all at once.
>
> I'm not picking on you or your friend. Or trying to be impolite. His
> pictures are probably magnificent, this particular presentation is
> lacking.
>
> Best regards,
> Henry

To me they look like he used an 81 C... Warmed by about 300 K.
To his credit the snow scenes don't look warmed…
but the skies do.
Making me think he used a fairly powerful warm grad.
The orange frames around each image and the orange type makes us key into those
tones in the images.
So they look kind of like campfire lit landscapes.
This could have been done in post processing (photoshop)
or him having a very blue monitor.
But the orange frames and type make it double bad.
And the saturation does seem jacked up a bit.

His subject matter and composition for me are beyond reproach.
But this lush warmth like every shot was done with precious 15 minute sundown
"golden light" is a big mistake in my option.
I'm dieing to cool them down and lighten up the skies.
The slot shots are particularly inappropriately warm.
Like 5000 watts of candlelight is pumped into just about every picture.
Or lots of #1 Photofloods on location! (what's powering them???)
These images would be breath taking blown up wall size shot with the Linhoff
like that.
I hope he doesn't print as warm as he scans and uploads.
Or frames them with orange matts!

Such gorgeous scenery perfectly framed and then gently warmed by the firelight
till the skies turn brown.
To him i say:
Photographs are not marshmallows!!

Keep cool boy!
breeze it buz it easy does it.
Keep coolly cool boy
don't' get hot
cause man you've got some high times ahead.
Take it slow and Daddy-o,You can live it up and die in bed!
Boy, boy, crazy boy.
Stay loose, boy!
Breeze it, buzz it, easy does it.
Turn off the juice, boy!
Go, man, go. But not like a yo-yo Schoolboy
Just play it cool, boy, Real cool!

Mark Rabiner
(apologies to Lenny and Steve)
Portland, Oregon