Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Demise, A/D
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:35:38 -0700

At 09:21 AM 4/27/01 -0400, Johnny Deadman wrote:

>Yeah you're right but you get the point, I hope. ALL video cameras since
>they phased out the vacuum tube type are digital, since they rely on a CCD
>for image acquisition.
>
>John Brownlow

John,

Data (pixels) captured in a CCD is an analog process. They are stored as a
minute voltage level in a capacitive junction associated with each pixel.
The voltage level stored between black (no light/no voltage) and white
(saturated pixel) is a few hundred millivolts. Typically between 10 and 350 mv.

Reading the data out of a CCD is an "analog" process and the signal IS an
analog signal that could be recorded onto analog tape. If you look at it on
a scope, it looks like any audio signal.

The CCD signal has to be run through an analog to digital converter before
it becomes a digital signal.

This is just one of the many reasons why pixels cannot, with current
technology, get any smaller. They could not produce enough analog signal
(voltage level captured in the even more teeny weeny capacitor) to be
separated from the noise.

As the pixel size goes down, the noise level goes up. As the light level
goes down (same problem, not many electrons stored in the capacitors) the
noise level goes up.

When thinking about digital cameras (still or video) you still have to
think "analog". Digitizing happens later.

This is like film. Digitizing happens later. Only with film, you have a
good master. With a digital camera, you have no master so you cannot redo
the analog to digital process. But you can PhotoShop it until you have what
you wanted in the first place.

Jim