Subject: Re: foot in mouth (was: Re: [Leica] Hey.....HEY YOURSELF)
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 27 Apr 2001 14:24:34 -0700

On Fri, 27 April 2001, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Doug Herr wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 27 April 2001, someone wrote:
> >

> > > "Sexist behaviour"?
> > > Lea, may I be first to apologise for this rude person, who
> > > not only is unable to write a charmant 'hello' to someone
> > > new on this group, but also unable to appreciate woman
> > > when he meets her... Probably an American; I heard they
> > > cannot invite a woman on lunch without getting sued! :-)
> > > But I can assure you it is an exception. We are not only
> > > independent souls but also wise and gay ones, as you will
> > > see in future.
> > > Be welcome !!! And lot of light to you !!!!!!!
> > >

> > This writer (you know who you are) really put his foot in his mouth this time.  John Collier, one of the LUG's shining lights, is Canadian, not American, and the meaning of the word "gay" has changed in the last 30 years.  In reference to present culture it no longer means "joyous and lively" (Webster's New World Dictionary).
> >
> > In North America it is not considered rude for men to treat women with respect.
> >
> > Lea, welcome to the group.
> >
> > Doug Herr
>

> Absolutely true but as you say we have cultural differences going over the wires here.
> I'm going to go to bat for Stanislaw who i know means well and is one of my very
> favorite people here on the lug. A deep feeling and dazzling guy! I'm sure he'll
> be one of your favorites too Lea!
>
> Gee there's women here!!!
> (Mel Brooks, 2000 year old man)
>

> Mark Rabiner
>
> Portland, Oregon
> USA
> http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/

Believe it or not I'll go to bat for Stanislaw too, as I know he means well.  That's why I left his name off my response.  Just as in Poland things are not done the North American way, it is also true that in North America things are not done the Polish way.  Not that one is better than the other, but respect for cultural norms works both ways or it doesn't work at all.

I did think it was amusing that he'd characterize the LUG as "gay" without meaning to imply that we're homosexual.  Mind you I don't care what the sexual orientation of anyone at the other end of cyperspace is.  I just thought it was amusing, no disrepect to Stanislaw intended.

BTW, many Canadians take pride in being Canadian and not residents of the USA, and with good reason.  Canada (and Poland) have much to be proud of.

Please direct any responses to me off list as this really isn't Leica-oriented.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe