Subject: Re: [Leica] Customs and Duty - Sending equipment to Europe??
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:15:48 EDT

Dans un courrier dat=E9 du 02/05/01 07:33:48 Paris, Madrid (heure d'=E9t=E9)=
,=20
wajsman@webshuttle.ch a =E9crit :

> Customs duties between Europe and North America are for the most part=20
either=20
> 0
>  or largely symbolic so it will not be an issue. I have sold several items=
=20
>  people in the U.S. and to my knowledge they did not have to pay anything=20=
on
>  receipt, even in the case of items insured for over $1000. In Europe, the
>  situation is a bit different, since the receiver will have to pay his=20
local=20
> VAT
>  when receiving the goods, and that can be substantial, ranging from 7.6%=20
> here
>  in Switzerland to 25% in Denmark. The VAT is usually collected by the pos=
>  office; if you use an express delivery service like FedEx or UPS they wil=
l=20
> pay
>  the VAT for you and bill you but they will tack on an outrageous fee for
>  performing this service, so I would recommend using plain airmail with
>  insurance, it is much cheaper and almost as fast.
> =20
>  There really is no way around the VAT on the European end except to take=20
the
>  risk of understating the value of the item on the package. But then of=20
> course
>  you cannot insure it for the real value either.
> =20
>  Nathan
> =20
I'm afraid this is true . I have a trade to do with "goldframe " and I was=20
wondering=20
if any Luger is projecting to go to the US from Europe or vice versa .
Chears=20

JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE/ AIRBORNE RADAR TECH / LIVE FREE OR DIE