Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 11:10:58 -0700

>Does anyone have an opinion or has anyone had experience in using these two
>lenses?
>[snip]
>Information of image quality, usability, differences in the two finders, i.e.
>barrelling and build quality would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Julian Topley

Having neither of these lenses, I feel fully qualified to comment...

I have thought about buying one or the other of these lenses at some point,
and, should I ever do so (and I hope Mark doesn't find out if I do!), I
think I would go for the 15, for the following reasons:

- - it's cheaper than the 12 by a non-negligeable amount
- - it's distorsion is going to be less pronounced than the 15

I've seen and handled them both - the 12 definitely seems better made, a
more solid lens than the 15, a bit bigger and heftier. Seems balanced for
an M camera whereas the 15 seems to have been made with the old LTM lens
proportions in mind. Being a lover of distorsion, I'm more drawn to the
potential of the 12 however this is a focal length I will rarely use and
would find it difficult to justify spending $600-$800 on such a lens. $400
is another story.

The positive reports that we've had on the 15 and it's reasonable price
make it a possibility for me. Should I ever stumble across the 12 at an
exceptionally good price, I might consider it.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm)