Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide,now"movies"
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 16:29:27 -0500

> Sonny,
>
>>>As far as the camera operator is concerned, it is
> "Auto-Focus,"  An assistant handles focus, so the shooter
> can watch the framing.  Auto focus couldn't work in
> features, for example, when focus shifts back and forth
> between two characters, both in frame, when each speaks.
>
> I'm anxious to see your pics!<<
>
> Thanks for the info. That's exactly the way it appeared. I'm always
> impressed on the big screen by how cinematographers can jump from focus
> point to focus point.

They are able to do that because of the AC (assistant cameraman or focus
puller). Cinema is very precise where scences are marked out and rehearsed.
The AC will be standing beside the camera and shift the focus on the lens,
on cue, using preset marks which are placed on the lens, yellow gaffer tape.

sl

Replies: Reply from Isaac Crawford <isaac@visi.net> (Re: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide,now"movies")