Subject: Re: [Leica] 6x9/6x7/6x4.5 rangefinders
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 19:02:33 -0500

>	I've always heard that the Mamiya 7 lenses are blazingly sharp, but
>what about the other characteristics? I'm interested in how the bokeh,
>transition from focus to out of focus, and color perform on these
>lenses. Are the first two less of a problem because the lenses are so
>slow? Inquiring minds want to know...
>
>Isaac
I think they look like modern Leica glass like the 35 ASPH Summicron,
etc. in terms of the overall rendering. I don't own one, I rent one
fairly often, as needed. The 65 is just spectacular. So is the 80. I did
a group picture of 700 people using the Mamiya 7 and a 65 - all of them
fit on the 6X7 area and all were totally recognizable! Never seen such a
negative. Actually I pieced 3 negs together so there were probably only
500 on the center negative - anyway it was pretty amazing. I've not used
the 43 but I'd like to. I hear it is spectacular as well. Some day I
might own a 7 and the 43 and 65. For now I can rent far cheaper. For me
its a special use camera.

Its a bit sketchy using these cameras as if they are big Leicas. I find
the focus at close range (which is not very close, thats another issue)
to be just barely good enough for wide open up close work giving far more
mis-focus shots than a 35mm camera. Its just the nature of the beast.
Stop them down a bit and don't push the close shooting. For a
travel/scenic camera for maximum walk-around quality this could be the
champ.

Henry

Replies: Reply from Isaac Crawford <isaac@visi.net> (Re: [Leica] 6x9/6x7/6x4.5 rangefinders)