Subject: Re: [Leica] Black Cat
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 14:10:08 -0400

Simon,

No terminology problem.  You are correct as am I.  If you point your CAMERA at a very black object (cat fur) the camera's meter will be fooled and you
must compensate by STOPPING DOWN otherwise you'll have overexposed negatives.

My example was using a hand held meter that only saw either the light falling on the cat, not reflected from it (incident mode), or the light
reflected from a grey card held wherever the cat was going to be in the photograph.  Both of my methods of measuring the correct exposure do not care
what color the cat is.  Only experience will tell you to OPEN UP to render the black cat's fur higher on the film's characteristic curve, thus giving
the shadows more density; for easier printing and more realistic looking fur.  Our eyes see better than film does and the key here is to try and
render the cat's fur closer to what we see when the cat is sitting in our lap (if you like cats that is).

Cheers,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter) ( : > D" <SonC@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Black Cat)