Subject: RE: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 20:23:07 -0500

Isaac

You're talking about metering in general. I don't have a problem with that.
I have a problem with metering and the Heliar.

I know every trick in the book when it comes to metering. I really don't
have any problem with most lenses. Nor do I have any issues with the M6
metering. It's spot on most of the time. But there's something tricky about
the Heliar, and I haven't been able to put my finger on what it is.  It's
more than watching the horizon (although Henning made a very good point in
that regard.)

Do you have any metering issues when you use your Heliar on your M6? Or do
you get perfectly exposured chromes each and every time you use it? I'm
curious also to know how you like your Heliar overall.

Dave

	>>>This is typical of the kind of mistake that can be made by
relying on
reflective metering only. I guess my whole point is that by learning to
shoot without a meter, one is better able to gauge what is a reasonable
exposure and won't be fooled by wacky meter readings. If my camera has a
meter and I'm shooting slide film, I usually use it to measure light,
but I already have an idea of what it should be. That way, if something
odd shows up in my readout, I'm not screwed. I usually only use a meter
to tweak the final exposure on slides.
	I know nobody asked, but here's the list of things that I do use a
meter for:

1)tweaking exposure for slide film
2)Shots where the light is the subject (like stained glass windows or
backlit leaves)
3)In the studio for determining initial exposure with strobes (then I go
to the polaroid meter!)
4)Macro work with bellows extention...its just so much quicker...:-)<<<

Replies: Reply from Isaac Crawford <isaac@visi.net> (Re: [Leica] Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm)