Subject: Re: [Leica] Black and white -- point me in the right direction
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 08:24:17 -0500

Derek wrote:
>So, what's worth looking at?  Is there anything that matches Delta 100 plus
>XTOL 1:3?  This was always impractical in the Jobo due to the amount of XTOL
>required per roll.  How is the DD-X people have been talking about this
>week?
>
>Are there any 400 speed films that compare favorably to HP5+?  100 Speed
>films better than Delta 100?
>
>I know these questions seem vague, but I'm about to order a pile of film
>from B&W and spend an ungodly amount of time testing film + developer
>combinations; I'd like to make sure I cover all the likely candidates.

I'm re-evaluating films and developers right now. D100 and DDX is a great
combination, although if you are pleased with Xtol why change? For D400
I've not been so pleased with DDX but I have more variations to try.
Additional dilution is one of them. I like the fine grain of D400 but
have had problems with the highlights blowing out when. In normal range
scenes it is quite good, but that 's not all I want for a general purpose
400 speed film.
I'm hoping D400 will give a good account of itself in Diafine or
DiXactol. This weekend I ran a test of D400, Agfa 400, TriX, and Fuji
Neopan 400 in both Diafine and DiXactol. The Dixactol negs LOOK
exquisite! Diafine increased the speed of some of the films by about 2
stops, but looks a little grainy. Later this week I'll report back on
printing/scanning of these negs.

Henry

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Black and white -- point me in the right direction)