Subject: RE: [Leica] Canadian lenses
From: "Jay Burleson" <jayburleson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:12:35 -0700

Herb said:
>I bought a 35 mm Summicron labeled "Canada." It was about half the
>price of current models. In general, the lenses made in Canada,
>e.g., 90 mm Summicron, appear to be somewhat cheaper than others.
>Are these lenses inferior, and, if so, in what respects?

Herb, I have had a Canadian 35 Summicron and a 90 Tele-Elmarit for 8 years
now. Shooting in real conditions (not Erwin's lab), against the current
versions of each, I can't see enough difference for me to spend big bucks on
heavier lenses.
But, look at it this way:
It's a MARK OF DISTINCTION to have Canadian lenses!
ANYONE can buy German stuff, but very, very few of us have the Canadian
glass.
Plus it's nice to know the Canucks can do something right, eh?  ;-)
That's my opinion, here in Seattle (suspiciously close to Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe the Mounties have been beaming stuff into my head. Time to go put on
the aluminum cap).

Jay Burleson
"Smoke me a kipper boys, I'll be back for breakfast!"
http://home.earthlink.net/~jayburleson/index.html