Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Konica facts
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 20:55:26 +0100

Marc James Small wrote:

"But the problem does exist, as well documented on the LUG and elsewhere.  I
have great trouble believing Konica is using sloppy standards far lower
than the rest of the Japanese camera industry, as you have suggested.  But
I don't have an alternate explanation as to why the disparity exists.

But, if Erwin says it is there, it is there.  He is too careful a
researcher, and too cautious a human being, to have posted his findings
unless he was certain of them."

I don't disagree, but I still think we need a source for the Konica back
focus figure and tolerance. On the face of it, this is such a *bizarre*
thing for Konica to do, that I'm at a loss to understand it.

Normally in these circumstances I favour the cockup theory over the
conspiracy theory every time (at least until the evidence proves otherwise).
In this case there's always the possibility that someone at Konica has made
a mistake in the figure given, and that the real one is closer to that used
by Leica.

Hence my quest for a quotable source at Konica...

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk