Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: RE: Konica
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:42:01 -0700

Félix López de Maturana wrote:

> > They are different cameras. Have different lenses.
> >
> > Use Hexar lenses on Hexar cameras. Use Leica lenses on Leica cameras.
> >
> > Dilemma solved.
> >
> > Jim
>
> My position exactly to the last detail!
>
> Mark Rabiner
>
> Jim and Mark,
>
>  Priests of the Leica religion. This matter goes a lot beyond the
> consideration on if one can use Konica in Leica or vice versa. For you for
> what I see the possession of certain things goes a lot beyond the rational
> use of reputed tools they are cameras, cars or any other thing. They are in
> fact symbols of a status, a social success, a to be above other people.
>
> I wonder if who is proud of something that possesses for their famous name
> he won't need of that external shine to hide some type of personal weakness.
> In my atmosphere it is of better pleasure to use simple but practical things
> or not to boast of what is possessed, since that it is supposed. I don't see
> any inconvenience then, if it is that it is really possible, in using lenses
> Konica in Leicas bodies unless that is a heresy for that particular religion
> class. I don't know Mr.Puts but I don't believe that it locks in itself all
> the wisdom of the world. I think that it is interesting to hear the users of
> Leica that use lenses Konica or Voigtländer and to listen their opinion on
> the obtained results. Our money is always scarce and it should be rationally
> wornout.
>
> We are members of the Lug but, before that, we are fond of the photography
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Félix.

With respect also i say this is the Leica users group.
We are users of Leica first. Lovers of general photography second.
My interest in Konica or Voigtländer and Cosina is VERY limited.
I'd buy a Contax G1 to put a Hologon on it maybe/ I'd love to do some medium
format rangefinder photography but that's also another ball game.

"For you for what I see the possession of certain things goes a lot beyond the
rational use of reputed tools they are cameras, cars or any other thing. They
are in fact symbols of a status, a social success, a to be above other people."
I think my photos http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/ speak for themselves.
It's obvious only an elitist Ahole could have shot them!
How much better my shots would have been if i picked my gear for it's
capabilities instead of it's elitist value!
The reasons other people don't' use Leica are many. Claimed elitism is often
cited. Mainly it's really that people hate shelling out a grand for something
that doesn't have any micromotors in it or LED's.
Having bought it they'll put in on the shelf where it looks good perhaps and
stay dry and use thier Nikons which they know will get the shot.
But I value my glass over every thing else.
But when people come over to my house/studio they see my prints.
Not a line up on a shelf of Leica glass.
You end your message " Kind regards." But to imply i pick my tools of my craft
and trade so i can "to be above other people." Is not exactly kind regards but
gets Into rather personal negative issues.
Your pictures are where Félix?
Blow me away with them and I'll switch to Konica
and join the Konica list.
But i wouldn't bother the people here on the LUG about it. They're here for Leica.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA