Subject: RE: [Leica] Picture taking technique
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:37:22 -0400

Erwin wrote:
"I am searching for a way to express my thinking that is clear and
consistent."
And then,
"My point is that there is a vast and significant difference between the use
of  the method of visual inspection in order to settle the question whether
a photographer is satisfied with the result and the use of this method to
settle the question what is the best image quality attainable.  If you are
only interested  in creating pictures you personally like and are
comfortable  with, the method of of subjective assessment (or visual
inspection) is perfectly viable and sound.
"If you are interested in getting the best possible results with your
equipment and want to know how to handle the many factors that do degrade
the image, you need a method that can identify the possible sources of image
degradation and a strategy how to cope with this.
"It is for this approach that it is of paramount importance to distinguish
between user induced defocus errors and manufacturing induced  defocus
errors."

Erwin, I would call your search quite fruitful.  Very well expressed!  Thank
you.
:-)
Art Peterson