Subject: [Leica] Spring SLUGfest
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:06:39 -0700

A few members of the SLUG got together last friday to meet up with Alastair
and Helen while they were here in the rainy city for a few days. It was
great to meet up with them and talk cameras, photography, home remodeling,
and all sorts of other topics. Hopefully we'll get a full report of all
their adventures down the west coast once they make it back home.

After a few pints of Guinness though, things started to get serious and the
Leica stacking began. I suspect that Alastair may have talked to Kyle before
meeting up with us as he quickly started popping down Dramamine and Prozac.
Things had gone around the table a couple times, and the stack was getting
pretty impressive, when Alastair decided it was time to start playing
hardball. He promptly pulled out a R8 with a 15 Super-Elmar and delicately
balanced it lens up on top of Mark's Noctilux equipped LHSA black paint
beautie. I was just down to my SL with the 560/6.8 Teylt. I quickly
performed some 3-d dynamic stabilty calculations on a napkin while RP and
Mark just shook their heads and muttered something about crazy aussies.

At this point Susan had fallen asleep in the corner out of boredom, but
Helen had been following the action closely. While I scrounged napkins from
an adjoining table to complete my calculations Helen blurted out at the
others, "So, that's it?! What a bunch of babies!" She then slammed down a
shot of merlot, jumped up and proceeded to balance a pair of barstools ontop
of the front element of the Super-Elmar. When Alastair tried to protest she
quickly reminded him how he's always going on about how hard the Leica glass
and coatings are. I grapped the SL to try and get a shot of the action, but
I had used up all my Neopan 1600 earlier in the evening and the only film I
had left was some Kodachrome 25. It didn't matter much since I couldn't
actually get far enough away to get things in focus. We were all kicked out
of the bar shortly later.

A few quick scans from earlier in the evening have been put up on photonet.
Spring SLUGfest 2001 continues this weekend with a visit from Jeff Segawa's
visit. Proper leica stacking photos are promised this time around.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=120075

Tom Finnegan
Seattle

Replies: Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Spring SLUGfest)