Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Grouping (was Picture taking technique)
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:30:20 -0500

>I understand what Dante meant - and I think he knows about shooting!
>He was referring to what I know as 'grouping'  - ie how close the shots fall
>with respect to one another, not with respect to the target.
>If the spread of shots is closer with the rifle that hits the 8 ring than
>the one that hits the X ring,
>then the 8-ring rifle is more precise. It just needs its sights adjusting to
>become accurate as well.
>The X-ring rifle may be more accurate to begin with, but it is less precise
>and adjustment may not help.
>
>Rule 303 applies.
>
>Regards,
>Captain Outrageous, Royal Artillery (Retd)

I apologize for any confusion due to the misuse of terminology.

A rifle that groups tighter than another will (given equal sight
adjustment) give more center hits than the one that groups its shots into
a larger area.

There are lots of other factors involved here as well which probably bore
most LUGgers to death. So lets not go there.

In cameras this is demonstrated as the camera/lens/film system that has
the highest possible resolution giving a higher percentage of more nearly
perfectly resolved photos.
Even when handheld, not just on a tripod.

Henry