Subject: RE: [Leica] Help: London/Oxford LUGgers
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 11:21:44 +0100

norman_milks@mailg.pribilofs.k12.ak.us wrote:

"Could you please tell me where to go in London for Leica, Hassy, Rollei?
I remember hearing about Pied Bull Yard in previous posts.  Is that near
the British Museum?  Any other shops?  I'm mainly interested in checking
out the used stuff, but wouldn't mind looking at some new stuff, too."

There used to be four shops in Pied Bull Yard, but it's down to two now.
Jason Vicinanza has mentioned http://www.theclassiccamera.com/ and there's
also Jessop's classic dept. http://www.jessops.com/classic/

Pied Bull Yard is very close to the British Museum, see
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=WC1A2JR&Z=1 TCC have a lot of
Leica stock, but are not cheap by any means. Jessops Classic usually have
lots of Leica, Rollei and other kit in stock, although the prices can be
somewhat alarming.

There's also R.G. Lewis, who're at 9 Southampton Row WC1B 5HA see
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=WC1B5HA&Z=1 I love RGL -
though they don't keep much stock - because it's like stepping back 30
years, the staff are such *gentlemen*. :-)

Not a shop as such (but you can visit), Jonathan Harris usually has some
nice stuff http://www.jonathanharris.co.uk see
 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=SW184JQ&Z=1 (an excellent
dealer, by the way, thoroughly recommended, my .85 came from him).

Fieldgrass and Gale http://www.fieldgrassandgale.com/ usually have some
interesting stock see
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=SW184JQ&Z=1 although I don't
use them much because they have a habit of advertising stuff they sold ages
ago and being rather rude when you ring up about it.

Kingsley Photographic http://www.kingsleyphoto.co.uk usually have some
interesting s/h stock, and although they're also in an expensive area - see
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=W1T4HL&Z=1 - the prices
aren't always as high as you might expect (I got a *lovely* 3.5E Xenotar
from them a few weeks ago for a nice price), and Tim Stavrinou is a nice guy
and knows his stuff.

Teamwork http://www.teamworkphoto.co.uk don't do much Leica, being mainly MF
and LF, but are always worth a visit
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=W1P7LD&Z=1 but if you're into
panoramic cameras watch the credit card. :-)

For some new stuff I use sometimes Calumet http://www.calumetphoto.com/ who
have a shop a few minutes walk from Euston Station. They do do s/h, but I'd
hesitate to recommend them because it always looks pretty knackered to me.

If you're travelling further afield, or are interested in mail order places
with good s/h stock while you're here, I can recommend ffordes -
http://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm - and MXV http://www.mxv.co.uk (if by
any chance you're flying into or out of LGW, then MXV isn't too far away.
It's a pig of a place to get to by public transport, but it's an astonishing
place to visit, they have a *mountain* of stock).

For processing in London use Metro http://www.metroimaging.co.uk see
 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?P2M?P=EC1M5TN&Z=1 and if you're
going there you might like to mention it because I live a short bus ride
away.

Now hopefully a LUGer who knows Oxford better than I will be along to talk
about the shops around there.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk