Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Konica fiction
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 09:49:52 -0400

At 04:09 PM 5/12/2001 +0800, you wrote:
>When did Leitz enter the photographic market? Sometime in the first decade
>of the 20th century as far as my books tell me. Of course they were an
>optical firm before that but they did not have experience in the field of
>mass market photo equipment for decades after Konica had been at it and
>their first commercial camera was approximately half a century after Konica
>had been in the photo business. This means to me that the heritage of Konica
>is not be dismissed lightly even though they are not the particularly altar
>we worship at.

No one is being disrespectful of Konica nor of their heritage:  I am simply
attempting to ensure that all of us understand the historical record,
myself included!  I believe Leitz first offered microscope cameras in its
1890 catalogue but, again, my references are hopeless buried at the moment.
 In that sense, then, Konica was in "the photographic business" a decade or
so before Leitz.  But, again, I don't see this as rigidly compartmentalized
as others seem to view it -- one optical competency leads to another, the
design of a microscope objective provides the expertise to design camera
objectives, and so forth.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!