Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: RE: Konica fiction
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 11:20:47 -0700

><Snip>
> > Marc
>
> If my memory serves me well, this is what my father heard from Dr. Walter
> Mandler during his visit to Leitz Midlands in the early '80s.
>
> Joseph

Yes but I'm thinking "doesn't like zooms" could mean a few things…

1. Doesn't think the manufacture of zooms is what Leitz is was all about quality
wise. Doesn't think zooms themselves produce that kind of images he wants Leitz
to be known for. (at that time of course)

2. Bad business. Thinks the manufacture of a zoom which covers 3 focal lengths
means 2 less lenses sold.

3. Doesn't like shooting with them himself. Thinks Airplanes should zoom,
cameras should move more conservatively
 if at all.

4. Just thinks (like Zeiss) that Zooms are best left to Schneider, like ultra
wide 21mm lenses. Feels it's 				 just a whole different business than making
primes and Leica should stick to what it knows as it is a small company
excelling in a small area.

5. I don't know.

6. All or none of the above.

Mark Rabiner