Subject: RE: [Leica] supporting leica!
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:47:18 +0100

Mark Rabiner wrote:

"I can imagine reaching into my camera bag in front of a pressured art
director.
She/he is thinking:

"Get this is exciting!! This photographer with this Leica system is putting
^%$#@ on his camera!
I'm sure he knows its EVERY much as good as that Summicron lens he's taking
off
his camera!"

I'm fascinated. Do you *really* have art directors who a) know one make of
lens from another and b) try to tell you which make and model of lens you
should use? Do you not worry that they don't trust your judgement?

You are - of course - entitled to your opinions about the logic - or
otherwise - of using Cosina lenses as *backups* to Leica lenses (which is
what I suggested). Do you just have two Leica lenses of every focal length?
If you choose not to do that, I wish you luck, but I *do* wonder what you'd
do if you dropped an M lens and damaged it severely.

With a Nikon lens any VIP member can have a new one on the way with a 'phone
call. With a Leica lens there's no pro-grade backup, *and* unreliable supply
of new replacements. This is a severe handicap for Leica (in the UK at
least, I don't speak for other places because I don't know what the
support's like there).

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

Wapingapo fahali wawili, ziumiazo ni nyasi

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] supporting leica!)