Subject: [Leica] Konica back focus
From: "Howard Cummer" <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:13:16 +0800

Dear Erwin and Marc,
First Marc thank you for the comment that I have the reputation of a
conciliator on the LUG. I didn't think I made enough contributions to have
any reputation. :)
Erwin, I have been doing business in China for more than a quarter of a
century and I have learned that "he who gets mad doesn't win". I don't
dispute your numbers from Konica, but I am curious as to why my imperfect
survey has showed up RF users that believe they achieve accurate focus with
their Leica lenses on their Hexar bodies. As for them not being able to
discern what accurate focus is, I consider that to be just a bit
condescending - some of the respondents earn their money taking photographs
and can certainly tell a sharp photograph from an unsharp one! Their income
depends on it. For us amateurs with aging eyes - well we all get old. It is
the nature of the LUG that if there were a lot of Hexar users out there who
are also Luggers we would hear about focussing problems in spades! Yet,
except for one or two users - we seem to have to have a dozen or so users
happily putting all sorts of lenses on the Hexar. How can that be explained
away? Imperfect survey, inadequate discernment? Who knows? For these people
the Hexar is a welcome addition to their kit and they will, I assume,
continue using and enjoying the camera. I am sure if we could sit down
together over a glass of wine we might find each other interesting company
and we could debate about this and many other things for a long and pleasant
time. However, I am not able to engage in a firefight on the LUG this time.
Two reasons - it is not my nature, and I am travelling away to Singapore
(hopefully to meet some luggers) and to Australia (hopefully to buy some
cheap used Leica lenses thanks to the low Aussie dollar) and so I will be
signing off the LUG for about 10 days starting tomorrow. Be nice. Talk about
pens and watches.
Howard Cummer
Hong Kong.