Subject: [Leica] Lux vs. Cron vs. Elmarit (WAS: Which One: 90 mm f/2 Summicron or 90 mm f/2.8 Elmarit?)
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:58:32 -0400

This question comes up so often, and regarding each focal length for which
Leica makes multiple offerings, such as the 28, 35, 50 and 90 M lenses.
While they all have their unique signatures, I've finally come to the
realization that the right answer (for me, at least) is always the fastest
version: that means 28/2 asph, 35/1.4 asph, 50/1 noctilux and 90/2 apo.

The reason is that the Leica M means _speed_.  If you don't have the faster
lens now, it's certain you'll want it later.  Yeah, the M means portability,
too, but even the heaviest M lenses, like the noctilux and the 90 apo, are
still a far cry lighter than an SLR equivalent.

Besides, if you can't open up to at least f2, how will you know your
backfocus is off by .02mm? ;)

Dan