Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning slides for scanning
From: "Douglas Landrum" <dflandrum@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 18:31:28 -0700

Gilbert wrote:

"ICE does not work with Kodachrome or (non-C41 B&W). It thinks the silver
grain is dust."

Dyes replace silver in the Kodachrome process - there is no residual silver
in a processed Kodachrome slide.  Digital ICE words just fine on Kodachrome.
I have been scanning Kodachromes circa 1950 to the present (taken with
Leicas) for my father with my Coolscan IV.

The issue was recently discussed on the halftone scanner list.  Jack Phipps
of Applied Science Fiction said that their firm overstates the statement
that their Digital ICE does not work with Kodachrome.  On some Kodachrome
batches, ASF's Digital ICE produces a slight color shift in Kodachrome scans
vs. scans with Digital ICE off.  Ed Hamrick, writer of Vuescan, claims no
color shift for scans using the cleaning filters of Vuescan - that program's
algorithms for using the infrared channel produced by Digital ICE enabled
scanners to see and eliminate dust.

To clean slides, I use a Staticmaster brush lightly and Digital ICE or
Vuescan's light clean filter.

I am not sure whether I like using Vuescan or NikonScan 3.0 better for
Kodachrome.  So far, I like NikonScan 3.0 better for color negative scans
and Vuescan for E-6.

Douglas F. Landrum
Laguna Beach, California
dflandrum@earthlink.net