Subject: [Leica] B&W pictures
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@ision.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:21:26 -0700

The last few days I have been working in the wet darkroom and creating a
series of prints (format 30x40cm: that is enlargement factor around 12 to 15
depending on cropping area) with the Heiland Splitgrade and the new
Schneider 2.8/40 on my V35. These pictures were taken on location in a
deserted glass house (as I hate studio work) from a model with a background
of the desolate debris of an early 20th century industry with lots of old
electric engines, lots of gleaming pipes and other industrial icons.
I used Delta100, TM100 and TP as emulsions and a big Metz CT60 to give some
sculptural light to the scenery. Both the D100 and TM100 were developed in
Xtol 1+2 at their appropriate times and these were correct as can be
evidenced by the densitometer readings of the negs which generally were
around 0.8 to 1.3, depending on contrast range of the subject.
I uses as printing paper the Kodak Polymax series which is not wellknown but
delivers outstandingly good shadow tones, especially when the shadow area is
on the thin side as is usual with the 100ISO material and a big contrast
span.
As the pictures get an added 3D effect when the subtle grey scales of the
dark areas and the glow of the highlights is accurately represented, it is
no surprise that TP negs delivered best quality. The often dreaded bad skin
tones did not surface and in fact the skin tone rendition of the TP was top.
Another observation is the very smooth tonality of TM100, which did not
exhibit the  often cited clogging of the highlights and in fact showed finer
grain than D100. In these situations the overall image quality of the TM100
was better than that of the D100.
The Multigrade IV paper I also used delivered a different tonal range (as
could be expected), but had a lesser sharpness impression than the Kodak
paper.

The Heiland Splitgrade made my task easier as switching from one to another
make of paper did not require new calibrations.

The upshot of this exercise? The TP film is one of the best possible
emulsions to use when the Leica lens quality needs to be deployed to the
limit. I used my camera not on a tripod but handheld with a little support
of the fill in flash.
But the choice between D100 and TM100 is not so easy. I would venture to say
that lens, film, developer, paper and subject do influence each other in
significant ways as a system or a team and to single out one isolated item
as the generally best product is not the most appropriate way of approaching
that most daunting subject: produce a large black and white print of
outstanding quality from a 35mm negative.
Here lies a challenge which I intend to pursue and to include the optical
properties of Leica lenses in this queeste.

As a last word: I am not accustomed to the type of mud slinging that I have
had to face during my presence on the Lug and the last episode is a fine
example of to what length  some individuals are prepared to go to attack me.
I apologize to all of you that I have let myself been drawn into a silly
fight that is not a fine example of a decent discurse. My girlfriend did
warn me!
I got scores of emails of friends who wonder why I am still posting to the
Lug, giving the hostile environment.
I am wondering myself.

I am going on holiday now for a longer period and so stop posting for a
while. I am not sure I will return.

All the best to all of you.

Erwin