Subject: [Leica] Re: 21mm F4 Cosina test
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:43:43 -0700

Well, I knocked a half a dozen prints this morning, using a V35 with a
40 focotar. I printed on Agfa MCP 310 RC. As I stated earlier I used
Neopan 1600 and 400.

The first thing I knew was that this was not Leica glass, even my wife
this evening saw the immediate difference. But, it does have very good
contrast and sharpness, somewhat reminiscent of Nikon glass from the
60's and 70's. And it does exceptionally well with flare control. Light
falloff is barely noticeable, as I was shooting wide open at dusk at one
point. Stopped down at F16 with Neopan 1600 in bright sunlight, I think
I'm seeing some diffraction or fringing as it's starting to soften up a
bit affecting the overall image clarity.

I'll have to test it with other manufacturers emulsions, as I'm sure
each will behave differently with this optic. I'll be trying the high
speed emulsions only, 400 and up, to satisfy my curiosity.

One thing about its performance, is that, yes, it is a better performer
than the 21mm F4. But, from my experience, I can see just from my simple
test that it won't outperform the 21mm F3.4. I realize that this is just
one lens, and I'll gladly stand corrected if I'm wrong. But in my
opinion, the Cosina 21mm relegates the 21mm F4 to the status of a walnut
crushing "collectible," while enhancing the worth of the 21mm F3.4 even
more. I used my former 21mm F4 for 3 years, and the 21mm F3.4 for ten
years, under the usual horrid lighting conditions.

But what a lens, it certainly puts new life in the use of the LTM boxes.
It just has that light heft and compactness that makes using the earlier
bodies such a pleasure.

The truism that there is no substitute for Leica glass certainly holds
true, in spite of these "new innovations."

That's it for now.

Best,
 Slobodan Dimitrov