Subject: Re: [Leica] Canonet Rangefinder=Poor Man's Leica?
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:29:47 +0200

> Wondering if any of you have had the opportunity
> to shoot/own a Canonet GIII QL17?

Mi'y'a. And with great pleasure.

> I'm thinking of buying one as a beater cam - something
> I can carry on my person in the city without worry.

Somewhat heavy. But sharrrp! :)
Very fast focusing because of focusing tab. Very Bright
Rangefinder. Very nice viewfinder with parallax corrected
framelines. f/stops visible in viewfinder. Av + Manual.
Small, QUIET!, shuitter worx without baterries
(I *H*A*T*E* this word. The same problem like with
Mississiippii.. :)

> I'd be interested in hearing any informed opinions on
> picture quality and value of this 70s classic.

VG wide open (1.7). Exc. from 2.8
Way underrated (metal chassis, brass + steel guts,
rare earth 7-element lens, very smooth winding..)

> I know its hard to find batteries for the meter these
> days....yet I'm still curious.

Meter is simple to adjust to new bat's. Or you can use
Wein cells. Or forget it and use handheld meter and
Canonet on manual.
Rangefinder adjusting and camera repairs are very simple
and cheap :)

Canonet Manual:
http://www.primco.org/photo/galleries/canonet_ql17_manual/

Camera info:
http://www.cameraquest.com/canql17.htm
http://canonet.free.fr/

For more info - mail me at
watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net

..and buy it. Definitely.
- -----
                                St.
                     (Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy)
              http://www.geocities.com/Stanislaw_Stawowy
            Echelon/Carnivore lines: Bob Black, Hakim Bey,
           Ralph Klein, Sabotage in the American Workplace