Subject: Re: [Leica] 180mm comparisons
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 17:11:09 +0200

Charles Cason wrote:

> I am in the market for a 180mm lens for my r6.  I have
> decided on an APO lens because I will want to use the APO
> extender from Leitz later on.  There are two lens for sale
> on Ebay.
> One is "for Leica R"  Angenieux DEM 180mm 2.3 APO-R  and the
> other is the well known LEICA 180/3.4 APO- R.-ROM.  Does
> anyone have any experience with the Angenieux lens.  I  want
> to use this for wildlife photography and sharpness and
> contrast is important.  All things being equal, I would opt
> for the faster lens because of the extender, but I don't
> really know if all things are equal in this comparison.  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles,

The Angenieux is not "so" good wide open. It's not an APO "à
la Leica".
It's not better than the previous 180/2,8 from Leica.

The minimum focusing distance (2,5 m) of the Leica APO
180/3,4 is a problem IMO.
Also, in my experience, that lens is not the best with a APO
2X extender.
But some don't share that appreciation.

To be honest, I love the latest APO 180/2,8 so much, that
I'm maybe not so objective.

Lucien