Subject: Re: [Leica] an ethical question....
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:31:59 -0700

><Snip>
> wedding ettiquitte? i'd like to hear from anybody who actually _shoots_
> weddings too. maybe i could just give them 3 8x10's now and in a couple
> months send them the rest?
>
> and in case anybody's interested in the awesome power of a canon 50mm f
> 1.5 in ltm on a leica m6:
>
>  http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/5-12-01-wedding/
>
> kc
>
> (not that you could pay me to look at someone elses wedding pictures even
> if robert capa took them)

I don't think it's rude for an amateur family member or friend to bring a camera
to a wedding.
They may not be in the mood to order some awful wedding picture taken by the
awful wedding photographer.
They may be more in the mood to punch him out onces the thing gets going and we
see how he operates.
But if one goes in having respect for that photographer: you've heard this
photographer knew what he/she was doing   and one is a very serious or
professional photographer oneself then you are in a slight moral dilemma.
Because if you've been on both sides of that coin you know how it feels.
I promised a Bride, a top model who'd been on the cover of the French Vogue i'd
take black and whites of her wedding, she'd already hired some dork.
I ended up feeling like i was being real rude to this guy who had seen it all
after 3000 weddings. This was 15 years ago. I vowed to not let this happen again.
I shot a big society wedding and a top fashion photogher was there with his
assistant changing his lens for him as he held his Hasselblad body and adjusting
his F stops for him. After that i should have known better.
People who whenever i finished a shot would take thier turn to retake it with
their impressive gear.
"Oh but this is infra red!" Gee that takes the edge off!
I have a photograph of an unhappy close to tears bride being swarmed upon buy a
mass of 25 sure shot armed relatives and friends.
Many weddings there is NO ONE NOT taking pictures.
Why be the only one NOT taking pictures?
I keep a very low profile now when at a wedding if i have a camera.
It's such a strange deal to be at a wedding without a camera though!
What would i do with myself? Eat? Dance? Talk with people?
Inconceivable!
Next time i'll go dressed as Harpo Marx with a camera!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/