Subject: [Leica] Re: mechanical shutters
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 20:50:01 -0700

thought some of you might want to know about this:

I have an R6 whose shutter took a dive a few months ago. Apparently they
are not rebuildable. The shutter had to be sent to Leica for an
exchange. I was told that the shutter might even be Japanese. The
failure was at 1/15 and at 1/30, where it stuck at 1/8. All the other
speeds were fine. The shutter apparently hits a piece of plastic at one
point of its cycle, not sure when, as I can't recall that part of the
conversation. With use this piece of plastic gets gummed up and makes
the shutter stick, possibly creating the problem I had. Nearly $500.00
later, I wondered why I didn't just get the R6.2 or just another
Leicaflex SL.
Lesson in this, is that even the mechanical gear is as prone to failure
as the electronic gear, of the more recent vintage that is.

Best,
 Slobodan Dimitrov