Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica/photographing birds
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 21:02:53 -0700 (PDT)

Terry wrote:

I am scheduled to join others in a bird shooting venture (birds in
trees only) this Saturday. Would those of you with experience re same
please advise me which equipment to bring? I have the old 400 f/6.8 and
the old 350 f/4.8 as well as the 180 f/2.8 APO. I also have the 2x APO
extender. Regarding bodies, I have an old R4, an R7, and, my favorite,
the R8. Since the 400 and 350 are older CAM styles, I might not get f
stop and shutter speed displays in my R8's viewfinder. Therefore,
should I leave the R8 at home and bring the R4 or R7? Thanks for your
Terry,

When you say "the 400 and 350 are older CAM styles" do you mean they
have 1 or 2 cams? If so, then they won't give you the right aperture
linkage with ANY R camera, including your R4, R7 and R8. If, on the
other hand, you mean those lenses are 3 cam but without ROM contacts,
then you'll get the right aperture linkage with ALL R cameras. The ROM
contacts for the R8 are only used to provide information for auto-zoom
flashguns. So you might as well take the R8!

Regards,

=====
Ray