Subject: Re: [Leica] Black tape flavors?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 06:56:27 -0500

> on 5/16/01 9:24 PM, Steve LeHuray at icommag@toad.net wrote:
>
>>> There is a product known as "camera tape" used on film sets. This is used to
>>> show that film magazines are loaded, seal film cans, etc...
>>
>> It is called 'gaffer tape'

Johhny Deadman replies:

> hmm gaffer tape and camera tape are two different things to me (maybe a UK
> thing?). Gaffer's tape is similar to duct tape only leaves less residue, and
> you use it for things like taping down wires to floors so people don't fall
> over them, or holding stuff together that's broken. Usually black, in 2 inch
> widths. Camera tape is more fabric-like, an inch wide, generally white and
> used for what it says above. I use it myself to stick to the bottom of my
> Leicas, or onto Grafmatic backs, and write on it with a sharpie to identify
> the filmstock. The gaffer tape I'm familiar with you don't write on.

Sorry Johnny, I just went and compared my 'camera tape' which I use on my
Eclair NPR (in red, yellow or black) with my silver 'gaffer tape' and it is
the same material. The yellow tape around the cans of Kodak cine film is a
tape that i have never seen anywhere for sale.

Also somebody mentioned that gaffer tape is a high quality duct tape, I do
not think that is true, they are not even closely similiar except for both
being tape. The best duct tape you can buy is the stuff that you put on race
cars (Formula 1, NASCAR, etc). It absolutly will not peel away even at high
racing speeds. I used it for many years on my Reynard F2000 race car.

sl

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Black tape flavors?)
Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Black tape flavors?)