Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & black tape.
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 06:20:43 -0700

Peter Klien wrote:
>>> When I went to Italy, I did cover the words "Leica," "Leitz," and "M4-P"
> and the Red Dot on my camera with black tape.  My rationale was that it's
> just a little less obtrusive.  Also, many people have at least heard the
> name Leica and associate it with "very expensive."  I didn't want hotel
> people, waiters and taxi drivers to assume I was some super-rich dude they
> could overcharge accordingly. <<<

G'day Peter,
Been there....  Rome, Athens, London, Paris, Tokyo, Washington, Kuala
Lumpur, Hong Kong, Saigon, Calgary, Cairo and LA!  Never done that, ;-)
tape my Leicas! Are they less obvious with black tape when the cameras are
already black?

I don't think so, actually if you're using a chrome body with tape stuck all
over it, it attracts a greater degree of curiosity when in close quarters
with other folks, than a plain old black body.

And you maybe right:
>>Also, many people have at least heard the name Leica and associate it with
"very expensive."  <<<<<<

Although, once again, I believe the knowledge of "Leica" being associated
with "very expensive" is overrated thinking "many people" automatically
recognize it in the vernacular of some LUGNUT members. I.E.: "very
expensive"

I've had the experience at photo colleges where some students had no idea
how expensive a Leica was until I gave my lecture, then pasted Leica gear
around for them to see and feel what a great working tool it is.. Yep and
then there were gasps of monetary concern from many of them.  However, up to
that point the majority had no idea what it costs to be hooked on Leica, M
or R.

Now Nikons, Canon's and whatever, they knew down to the fraction of a mm.!
;-)

So I put aside concerns many users have on the recognition factor that the
rest of the world; waiters, bar keeps, taxidrivers and hookers, know that
Leica is synonymous with wealth or expensive. Most of the "they know this is
an expensive camera" is only in the minds of the Leica owner because he or
she knows it's expensive. And in doing so, sometimes... "that factor is
telegraphed" to other folks.

>>> In fact, several people asked me if I was a professional photographer,
and
> I think it was the meter, not the Leica that made them ask.  So maybe a
> Luna Pro Digital is the real babe magnet, not a Leica (although Freud
might
> have something to say about Ted's Noctilux...)<<<

I admit I've had people engage in conversation about the camera, not because
they knew it was a Leica and expensive, but just because they'd never seen
one before and the curiosity was, "Why do you use so many cameras? Are you a
professional?"

My reply?  "Nope just a crazy amateur who wants to be sure I get the right
picture." ;-)

They look again as I go on shooting, then they walk away shaking their heads
knowing this really is a camera-nut case! ;-)  And not once in any
conversation did "expensive, wow a Leica" come up.

Sorry to disillusion some of you folks with your thoughts on "Leica
expensive recognition, must tape to hide the name etc" factor, as the world
on the whole have no idea that Leica is a camera and not some weird computer
or something to eat.

Oh yes, Freud and the Noctilust? Well I can't really tell you what he said,
but he smiled, winked and went "tut, tut!" ;-)
ted