Subject: [Leica] Scotches
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:24:11 -0400

At 08:01 PM 5/17/2001 -0700, Ray Moth wrote:
>BTW, I daresay someone may object to my use of the word 'scotch' to
>describe a drink not of Scottish origin. I use the term merely to
>identify the class or style of drink, since there are other beverages
>also known as whisky/whiskey

A mash made primarily from malt and oats distilled in a pot still produces
Scotch or Irish
A mash made primarily from rye and distilled in a closed still produces Rye
A mash made primarily from corn and distilled in a closed still produces
Corn Likker, aka 'Bourbon' or 'Tennessee Sippin' Likker'
I forget what the Canadians use -- it might be a mixture of corn and rye.

So, yes, a distillate made from fermented malt and oats and distilled in an
open "pot" still on a fire primarily made of peat will produce Scotch or
Irish, wherever the collation was prepared.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!