Subject: [Leica] re-Useful discussion or black tape?
From: Tristan Tom <tristan@tristantom.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:21:04 -0700

obviously people are indeed interested in discussing the topic of
black tape since so many people have chimed in. it's a valid 'on
topic' discussion with merit.

just because you are not interested in it doesn't make it 'noise'. in
fact the only noise is that which is made when people come on here
and try to tell others that their postings are noise.

<<I would have thought that the Luggers' photographs, their recent or
less-recent journeys involving photography, useful discussion of Leica and
other interesting equipment, ethics, ways of looking at photography, etc.
would be a good start.

My objection to the black tape discussion was based more on the fact that
each of these 'discussions' around black tape, konica isn't a Leica, my bag
is bigger/smaller than yours, etc. can be guaranteed to generate huge
volumes of messages which obscure the gems that are to be found by trawling
through the 'noise'.

Strangely it is often the case that something like black tape can generate
30 or more messages, most of which descend into bashing the individual while
the interesting stuff generates one or two messages and then dries up.

Maybe this group is just meant to be for discussing black tape, my bag is
bigger than yours, who's right Puts or Gandy, etc, etc ad infinitum. Maybe
that's why interesting people like Johnny or Oddmund choose to leave.

I mean God forbid that we should actually discuss anything nearing the
sociology or politics of image-making. If we are incapable of having a
sensible 'discussion' about black tape I hardly think an academic debate of
the above topics would be possible.

Anyway Jim et al

carry on as you see fit

I shall continue to utilise my filter programme to try and sort the rubbish
from the gems.

keep well

Harold>>